Today is the end of my work week… and I have doctor’s orders to “get more sun.” It just so happens that I am prepared for that in more ways than one. I have my iPod and the headphones this time. I have something to read; and I don’t have to be anywhere for any reason for anyone. So I planned to take a drive out to the beach again today after work. However, the weather may not be cooperating like it did last week. Nevertheless, I have been invited to meet a friend at her community pool, which is much closer… and cleaner (no sand) and private (no screaming kids). This is not the way I intended to spend my free afternoon, but this is probably the best thing for me; so I think I’ll adjust my plan to meet my friend and get a little socializing in at the same time, since I tend to become pretty much a hermit crab on my days off.
I’ve been giving this a lot of thought lately. Why do I tend to close myself up inside my house on the weekends? I’ve decided it’s because: 1) I don’t have the financial freedom to do anything that costs money; and 2) I have a tendency to let other people dictate how I should spend my time. I don’t know how to set the boundaries because I don’t like confrontation, so I tend to please everyone but myself. The coward’s way out is to simply retreat inside my shell – my house. When everyone is out, like they were last weekend, I revel in my solitude. But only for a while; then it starts to get lonely and I can’t make myself focus on anything: it’s too hot to work outside, it’s too uncomfortable to sit at my computer; and it’s too boring to watch television (reality shows are going to be the death of me).
So this weekend I am challenging myself to go and do and be a friend to those few friends I have left. I vow to reach out to them, to see if we might agree on some mutually-gratifying activity; and see if they can lure me out of my isolating shell. Lord, help me to do this and be gracious about it AND let me have fun doing it!
Mom Crush Monday
12 years ago

Lose the shell! Woman thou art loosed ;)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
Let the fun begin!
ReplyDelete